Skip to Main Content

Recorder F.A.Q.s

Telephone number: 573-378-4029


How can I change the name on my deed?
To make changes to ownership of property, a new document must be prepared. Title companies or an attorney may assist you in making the necessary changes. The Recorder's Office does not prepare documents or have blank forms.

I know the address of a certain property owner, but do I need other information to get a copy of a deed?
If you have only an address, you must contact the Assessor's office (573-378-5459) for an owner's name of the property in order to locate recorded documents.

Does my property have any liens filed on it?
The Recorder of Deeds office is prohibited by law from conducting lien searches. Our office is responsible only to record documents that meet recording requirements. If you wish to search the records yourself, we will be glad to provide assistance. The Recorder's Office is not the only office where liens on property are filed.

Can you tell me the selling price of a home in my neighborhood?
The selling price of real estate is not required on recorded deeds in the State of Missouri; therefore the Recorder's Office won't know the price that someone paid for their property.

Are there easements on my property?
First check the original plat of the property. The Recorder's Office does not maintain separate indexes for easements and do not link documents and easements to your property. If you are unable to find easements, contact the title company that did your title search.

When may I expect the return of my document after recording?
You should receive your original document back within a week.

Are common-law marriages recognized in Missouri?
The State of Missouri does not recognize common-law marriages.
I know the address of a certain property owner, but do I need other information to get a copy of a deed?
We cannot search records by street address. We need a book and page reference number, name, document number, or instrument number. To obtain the legal and other information, please check the Morgan County Assessor's web page or contact them at 573-378-5459.

Do I need to include a stamped return envelope?
This would be much appreciated by the Recorder's Office to ensure it is being sent back to the correct address.